Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Empty
PostSubject: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 5:59 pm

The rev counter I've bought has a sender unit to display the water temperature.  It's a case of removing the existing sender unit from the rad & replacing it with the one supplied.  Has anyone ever removed the rad temperature switch ?  Is it a rad out job or is there enough wiggle room there?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 8:03 pm

I never removed mine but it looked tight for working space in there  Suspect does the new one replace the "Red" Overheat light?
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 9:37 pm

Not had a good look yet Sim - I think it gives you an actual temperature in figures - according to the manual, the switch is on at 120 c, so as long as it stays below that, I'm assuming it's fine (famous last words)
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 10:15 pm

You'll get a more accurate reading if you fit the sender to the by-pass hose at the bottom of the frame on the left side Dave, probably easier to fit there too? if you fit it to the sender at the top of the rad? the water has cooled as it's passed through the rad giving a lower reading, it's not much for an inline sender boss for the by-pass tube, could be worth reading this Link to give possible idea's?
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 10:59 pm

I may be wrong on this Sim, but I thought that the temperature sender gauge (for the warning light), is part number 13 on this diagram, which is located at the top of the rad.

Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Radiator_bigsuusa82550_07bd

I would have thought that if it was giving a reading for the warning light, it would give an accurate reading for a digital gauge.  The sender is a direct replacement for the existing sender (supposedly), so should be easier to fit directly into the rad, rather than chopping into the pipework.  You can get an adapter to fit into the hose, but it cost £25.00.  If I can get this one in, I'll give it a go.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 11:32 pm

I agree Dave, it is the one at the top of the rad,  but the flow of the coolant is clockwise (looking from the left side of the bike) meaning that the coolant has passed through the engine and pump before going through the rad (being cooled) before reaching that sensor, to give an accurate reading of engine coolant temp surely it should come from the first point of engine exit?, No chopping of the pipes is needed as there's a plastic OEM connector in that position already, it's just a matter of crimping the pipe temporarily to fit the boss, and then releasing the right hand one with no sender in the valve to allow the coolant to flow through before crimping it back again before fitting the sensor as to not create an air lock, I'll be interested to see the readings from the top rad position if you go that route though? it's only a small cooling system, it'll be good to see if there's any the number variations  Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal 3498837457
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2016 6:18 pm

Not found that connector yet Sim.  I'm still working on the basis that if the position of the original sender is good enough for Mr Suzuki, it'll be good enough for me - I'm not looking for spot-on accuracy, just an indication of what's happening.  Mind you, if it's a pain in the arse to fit, I'll just leave the original sender in place.  I'm not one for making unnecessary work for myself
Back to top Go down
DaveK
DaveK

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2016 8:35 pm

Dave, what ever way you go is better that the OEM "Red" Overheat light they only come on at 120c (stop now) running temp is 80-90°C
its the same with oil pressure sensor (OEM) they only come on at the (stop now) its to low, there your last line of defense
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2016 9:32 pm

Never having had a water-cooled bike before (last bike was an '83 Katana 1100), I'd never considered what the coolant was running at, but as the rev counter had the option for measuring the temperature, I thought it'd be worth it.  I've fitted an oil temperature gauge as well (one of the screw-in jobbies that replaces the standard filler cap.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2016 9:50 pm

katsd wrote:
Never having had a water-cooled bike before (last bike was an '83 Katana 1100), I'd never considered what the coolant was running at, but as the rev counter had the option for measuring the temperature, I thought it'd be worth it.  I've fitted an oil temperature gauge as well (one of the screw-in jobbies that replaces the standard filler cap.

You'll spend more time watching the numbers and worrying if everything's alright   Suspect  Very Happy   Suspect affraid Suspect  Very Happy affraid Suspect  Very Happy Suspect affraid     hyst
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2016 9:59 pm

Yeh - sometimes ignorance is bliss (I've been ignorant all my life & I'm pretty blissful)
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 8:14 pm

Have you fitted and had the rev counter working yet Dave ? Just wondered how stable the needles was.
Having done a little research, the only type of Rev counter which will read accurately will be one driven by a "stepper motor". A stepper motor is a positively driven motor therefore there is little or no play in the needle movement. The stronger the stepper motor, the more stable the reading. These types of gauge are expensive ( cheapest I've seen suitable for a bike is £99.00 from Koso Gauges ) but the needles are steady and reliable.
Not sure if the Daytona one you have has this feature Dave ..... if so it should be OK
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 9:11 pm

No Mick - not yet. At the moment I still have all the stuff at the powder coaters - including the bracket I've had fabricated for the tacho. I was supposed to phone then a couple of days ago, but I've that many other things on the go at the moment, I just forgot. I need to fit the auxiliary fuse box before I can fit the tacho, but before I do that, I want to tidy the wiring in the headlight bucket. The way things are going at the moment, I can see this dragging on till May !!!

At the end of the day, I have an email from the suppliers stating that they have had no problems with the Daytona - if this is not correct, it goes back.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 11:46 am

Twojobmick wrote:The signal cable is connected directly to the + side of the coil Dave. I put a piggy back spade terminal on to the tacho signal cable, then connected the LT coil connection on to that .

I'm sure it'll be obvious once I lift the tank Mick but so I'm not spending ages chasing up the wrong tree can you point me in the right direction please?  Which is the LT coil connection?  The wiring diagram shows two coils (as you previously pointed out to me we have two coils!!!), a front & rear.  It looks like each coil has (apart from the earth lead) two feeds out - one to the ignitor, & one to the starter/kill switch on the bars.  I would have gone for the front coil feed to the ignitor - am I miles out there ?

Why did you go for the coils rather than the plug lead?  Cheers
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2016 6:15 am

Dave, I went for connection to the coil as the rev counter I bought didn't have an option to wrap a cable around the HT lead as your has.
The way I saw it was this : the coil had three connections on it. One was the HT lead out to the plug, an obvious non starter for connection, then there's the LT side ...... with a + terminal and a - terminal on it. I simply put a piggy back spade terminal on to my signal wire, then attached that to the + terminal, then attached the + cable from the ECU on to the piggy back .... Simple as that ! The - connection for the gauge was picked up from a multiple connection I made from the spare switched supply in the headlight bucket. You need to bear in mind though that I have multiple gauges in my dash panel which is why I did it this way. You can pick a - up from wherever is convenient on your setup.
The gauge read correctly, it was just that the needle was really finely balanced which caused it to swing about wildly whilst the bike was moving and that damaged the internal mechanism of the gauge.
I would think all you really need is a switched + and - from the headlight connector, a signal cable, either coil connected or wrapped around the HT lead and a supply from the lighting circuit ( I spliced in to the sidelight inside the headlight bucket ) for the backlight. Some gauges don't even need a - for the backlight, they use the supply - for this, it all being connected internally. Dont worry about where the wiring from the coils goes to, you are only tapping off it for a signal ( if you go that way for your signal connection ). Just check with the instructions though - some rev counters connect to the negative side of the coil for signal.
Hope this helps mate ...... I can't post any pictures to help without stripping the bike down but I think it's fairly self explanatory. One tip - don't overanalyse it ..... It'll drive you crazy ! Just do it !
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2016 3:12 pm

Thanks for that Mick - your's is an FI model then - sorry, I thought yours was carbed !!!!  Soon as I get round to lifting the tank, it'll be obvious.  Wiring the power in should be a doddle now I've fitted the auxiliary fuse box - fitting the tacho was what made me decide to fit the box.

Thanks for the pointers - I'll give you an update when it's finished
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2016 9:27 pm

katsd wrote:
Thanks for that Mick - your's is an FI model then - sorry, I thought yours was carbed !!!!  

Mick's is Carbed Dave, I think he was referring to connecting the Tacho to the piggy back connector, not the ECU  Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2016 9:54 pm

simbo wrote:
katsd wrote:
Thanks for that Mick - your's is an FI model then - sorry, I thought yours was carbed !!!!  

Mick's is Carbed Dave, I think he was referring to connecting the Tacho to the piggy back connector, not the ECU  Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal 3498837457
Yeah sorry Dave, Sim is right .
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 12:08 pm

Mick - fitted today 

Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 6:46 pm

That looks good Dave, expensive???
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 1:10 pm

£85 + £10 for the optional temperature sender.  Expensive compared to some (but cheaper than a Baron) - but I'd rather pay the extra & have a decent unit
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 4:45 pm

Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal 3498837457 Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal 433968
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal   Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Water Temperature Sender Unit Removal
Page 1 of 1