Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Project Virago

Go down 
+25
Sapper-JPD
v-twin
Bluesman
smart
DocSjulle
bigmal
OldManYam
Bunso Steel
azcam
peardrop3
Proudtexson
MarcinG
Ken1964
captain crash
Doc Cox
simbo
fat intruder
Jimmyboy
oiler
pledge
typan
Badger
Mr Intruder
Ian800
alfie92
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2013 8:32 pm

Have also decided now is a good time to sort the main loom out as well

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring22-12-13004_zps9f5fb0c1-1

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring22-12-13017_zpsd5b4bd99

the loom is in a fairly good condition apart from the few items already found, but, it ran under the frame on top of the engine

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring22-12-13007_zpsac3f9a19

so will be re-wrapping it in spiral wrap and running it along the spine of the frame and then down the front right hand side of the the neck and through the forks, this will tidy it up and stop it getting fried on top of the cylinder heads.

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring22-12-13011_zps547fefa4

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring22-12-13019_zps203a21f4
Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring22-12-13010_zps2194e73d
Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring22-12-13015_zps6230b266

Had a very pleasant surprise tonight, Dave ( Mr Intruder ) was at our house when I arrived back from work, his first long distance drive I think, had a good chat and laugh then took him for a tour round the garage, made my night Project Virago - Page 5 184121345 .
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2013 8:58 pm

Wow thats a heck of a job youve got to do with the wiring, I admire your skills  Project Virago - Page 5 184121345 

PS i made a silly mistake myself tonight with Dave ( Mr Intruder ), just presumed he was going to be in and popped over there & guess what, he was at yours.  Project Virago - Page 5 3213823784  Really pleased he has took his first drive out on his own cause I know before this he has only tried riding the bike for a a short to make sure he still felt comfy & in control. Just spoke to Nikkita his daughter and he is now home so alls well. Takes some bottle that to take control again after what he has been through and still going through

PPS sounds very interesting with the battery experiments  Project Virago - Page 5 184121345 
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2013 9:50 pm

An extraordinary project with excellent vision, most inspirational.

Followed Mr Intruders journey for some time due to my work, undoubtedly a rather focused man with inner strength.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2013 10:57 am

The bike is going to be amazing when finished due to the detailed way in which you are attacking everything, with no stone left unturned. I like the tank you showed me yesterday, that may get put on. It and will definitely suit the Cafe Racer look you are going for and has nice lines. By the way Ken recovering from a my injury is very strange, wouldn't dream of turning a key today but I am very cautious, once on the bike & once in the car was enough for me . At least I know I can still do it but the amount of time healing is taking is cracking me up but I will get there.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2013 11:12 am

Oooh...we need piccies of the tank now!!!
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2013 3:50 pm

Yes sounds interesting we need to see or all our Christmases will be incomplete just wondering about that,  Project Virago - Page 5 3213823784
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2013 7:13 pm

I think the melting of the connecting block was due to the dirty connection inside it creating a high resistance and heat, don,t want to spoil any ones Christmas   Project Virago - Page 5 536894 so, if you look on page 2 of this thread the tank on my flat  track style bike is the same one off an old AR50 Kawasaki, also looking through you tube and found this track I think suits this column.

Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2013 7:22 pm

One last thing for me to say   "MERRY CHRISTMAS" to everyone on the forum, welcome to all our new members and have a prosperous and great time, all the best Doc Cox.

mc2 

sm1 

xt1
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Sorry Nigel but I cant find it and I took ages looking, was it a game like wheres wally  Project Virago - Page 5 2740622253 

Project Virago - Page 5 Virago23-12-12007_zpsa58d053c
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Go to page two and it is after the photo of Wally Project Virago - Page 5 641964
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 7:47 pm

Hope you all had a good Christmas and received the presents you wanted, finished work early today and decided the time was right to do a bit more to the wiring, Project Virago - Page 5 643587   this was fun and games trying to get all the connectors through a small hole between the frame and the rear cylinder head,

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring31-12-13011_zps75d4408b

finally succeeded with a bit of pushing and shoving and found one of the connectors I wanted to check, these are brass inline crimps that have a habit of corroding badly but as they are hidden in the loom you don,t see them until a fault crops up with the electrics and then it can be a real pain, the ones in this loom look ok. this is probably because this bike came from America and hasn,t seen any road salt but will be chopping them out and redoing them as a soldered joint with heat shrink to protect them

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring31-12-13014_zpsf828e2bb

The next photo is the wiring from under the seat that needs a good tidy up

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring31-12-13015_zps77fc3e5b

next shot is the corroded main power wire and after splitting the loom found it connected to a decidedly non Yamaha looking fuse
Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring31-12-13016_zps9bc1d9e9

feeling quite pleased with todays progress  Project Virago - Page 5 184121345 hopefully get some more done tomorrow, just leaves me to wish you a Happy New Year, have fun and take care regards Doc Cox  Project Virago - Page 5 1551172414
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 8:30 pm

That is one seriously scary looking rats nest of wiring, that would freak me out in a big way.  Project Virago - Page 5 2706044628 

Private joke
Also wishing you and your most lovely sugar plumb fairy a wonderful 2014, don't get to stressed out with your wiring & take your grumbling in doors or your sugar plumb fairy will start the dance of the nutcracker.  Project Virago - Page 5 852880
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 5:25 am

Thanks Dave and the same to you and all your family, did return your text but not sure if it went, don,t worry, no grumblings here this is the sort of work I love and the more tricky it gets the more determined I am to work it out Project Virago - Page 5 643587 , will have to start calling Jan Tinkerbell from now on , PS. when you get a video call, don,t put the phone to your ear,  Project Virago - Page 5 3213823784 Love to your great family Nigel and Tinkerbell x
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 11:13 am

Doc Cox wrote:
PS. when you get a video call, don,t put the phone to your ear,  Project Virago - Page 5 3213823784
Who me?  Project Virago - Page 5 2740622253
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 11:20 am

Mr Intruder wrote:
That is one seriously scary looking rats nest of wiring, that would freak me out in a big way.  Project Virago - Page 5 2706044628 

Project Virago - Page 5 428386  Project Virago - Page 5 249703
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 5:00 pm

Doc Good luck sorting that mess out.  Project Virago - Page 5 249703  affraid  Project Virago - Page 5 880307
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2014 8:09 pm

Just come back in from the garage, been carrying on with the inline crimp tidy up, if you do wiring any time I would highly recommend a set of these wire strippers, really well made and roughly £15.00 from Maplins,

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring001_zpsbc6a49e5

and what a joy it is now when I have finished everything just to leave it  and know it will be in the same place when I get home tomorrow, Project Virago - Page 5 184121345 

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring003_zpsea41c6d3
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2014 8:15 pm

Got a set of those & use them regular, must be a joy to have an area to store & work on your bikes again Nigel.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2014 9:10 pm

I see some other motorcycles lurking in the background :)
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2014 9:35 pm

If I remember right Doc bought 2 viragos
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 5:10 am

Thats right Crash,  Project Virago - Page 5 3498837457   the one in the back corner is the Virago that will be getting more radical treatment to it, Project Virago - Page 5 643587 .
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 10:32 am

Can't wait for results.

I'd love to have a spare one to mess about with...
If the business goes well I probably will end up with one..I'd love to try myself with fabricating/metalworking.
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 9:19 pm

I was very lucky Marcin and managed to buy these two just before Christmas last year both at very reasonable prices,
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 8:00 pm

Finally got round to some more work on the wiring today, on the first photo is one of the crimps and you can see the corrosion on the wire

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring001_zpsa522de85

Then pulled one of the coil connectors apart to clean up the inside of the spade connectors, carefully prised it apart with a srewdriver and used the flat file behind it to remove the corrosion from the inside,

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring005_zpsd2ccbccf

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring006_zps3bdb9345

Here is the connector back together with a spirap covering instead of the messy old electrical tape

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring007_zpsebd58a4a

In this shot you can see the spirap winding more clearly,

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring009_zpsdfdef472

Here this is feed from the main loom to the coils, again more grotty insulation, so a complete strip and clean up later plus the spirap ...

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring010_zps5b413ce0

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring011_zps0c6621e8

While doing the wiring decided to remove the rear subframe to give it a clean up and remove some unnecessary brackets, but thats another (wet) day project.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 8:08 pm

dontchya just love a sparky at his job!  Project Virago - Page 5 3492671266
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 8:21 pm

You are clearly going at this project with admirable zest & no stone will be left unturned. Having seen the bike and what your up against simply because of your enthusiasm for it to be fully refurbished from all angles, respect must come your way. It would be to easy to just quickly do what was necessary to get her on the road and ride her. However that way would simply give you a bike to ride but this way you know you will potentially have a bike that is not just as good as it was when new but better because you will know it inside out and improved her.
When you first got the two bikes I didn't really hear what you were saying so to speak but I can clearly hear you now. This bike will be wonderful when you have completed it when your various ideas have been realised with it. However at least when you actually start the other Virago which you have and really radicalise it you will be in a really good place of knowledge due to this one which you are treating in a careful & considerate way.
 Project Virago - Page 5 660750991
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 9:07 pm

I'd like to echo what Mr Intruder says  Project Virago - Page 5 65147 Plus it saves me a load of typing  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 9:30 pm

Good call, that's one for the memory bank. Wait till someone says something I want to say.  Project Virago - Page 5 3213823784
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 6:39 pm

Thanks Guys, well back in the garage again today, sorting out the wiring that runs down the spine of the frame and cleaning up the associated connectors, was using the trusty Dremell to get rid of the surface corrosion which wasn,t too bad when you think of the bikes age,

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring5-1-14002_zps9b4c633a

this is one of the coil connectors,

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring5-1-14005_zps76ef0170

This was just another one I chose as an example,
Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring5-1-14004_zps0a9f68c8

this is the connector after clean up, these will be filled with vasaline before reconnecting, and now a bit of simple magic, now you see the wiring
Project Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring5-1-14001_zps110dcd20

and now you don,tProject Virago - Page 5 Viragowiring5-1-14006_zps77db077f

after tidying the wire so it now runs along the top of the frame things seem to be coming back together, had to space the CDI unit up by three washers just enough so it wouldn,t crush the wiring, also very handy having the other Virago as I can use it to check the other ones wiring siting, well, take all of you out there, regards to all, Doc Cox E-MC2.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 6:55 pm

That is so much tidier, nice job so far.  Project Virago - Page 5 2170595768
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 7:00 pm

Nice job  Project Virago - Page 5 2170595768 that spirap seems good stuff.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 9:57 pm

Looking good Nigel,you are doing a cracking job.
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 6:08 am

Glad you like the thread, half the fun for me is building the bike and seeing what new ideas for improvement there are, yes Simbo spirap is excellent material, have been using it fir many years now, first came across it when I was in the Air Force, ( much cheaper then) and it comes in quite a few sizes,  go onto Ebay and look for Spiral Wrap, buy some and you will never look back, you will realise what a deprived life you had led up until then, just like my friends daughter, I was nearly going nearly going to call social in, do you realise she is 16 and had never had a chip butty until last year when I introduced her to them, neglect I call it,  Project Virago - Page 5 437349
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 7:54 am

I'm 33 and I never had a chip butty  Project Virago - Page 5 2343124779  Project Virago - Page 5 2740622253
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 3:55 pm

Marcin you lead such a secluded life, do you get out during daylight now?  Project Virago - Page 5 3213823784  Project Virago - Page 5 2343124779  lol!
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 3:58 pm

Not really Very Happy
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 4:46 pm

Project Virago - Page 5 3213823784
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 6:01 pm

Blimey Marcin  affraid  33 and never had a chip butty,  Project Virago - Page 5 53847   bear with me and will organise a chip butty and red cross parcel... :moed:
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 8:56 pm

Had a good find on ebay the other day, have been looking for exhausts to modify to fit the bike and came up with this for a good price,came of an older model Harley and will be fine after a bit of cutting and shutting,

Project Virago - Page 5 Shedandgarage2-2-14017_zps08960ef0

Popped in to see Dave today, as usual had a good chat and a laugh, plus an excellent cup of tea, thanks Margaret, showed him the exhaust and he said it would look good on the bike, have done rough fit but, I think the rear box looks too big for the bike, ( "Would look good on the Intruder Dave)  just had a thought, we were all discussing the new V twin from Yamaha a couple of weeks ago and the general consensus was that no one was very keen on it, while driving through Worcestershire saw one outside the local Yamaha dealers finished in satin black, In my opinion this was a good looking bike, unfortunately couldn,t stop to get a photo,

Project Virago - Page 5 Shedandgarage2-2-14018_zps6dc53023
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 9:19 pm

I will repeat myself Doc, That 2 into 1 would look bloody fabulous. Loved your idea of having it ceramic coated and it would sound great.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 4:03 pm

That don't look like its fits are have I missed something completely. Love the muffler  Project Virago - Page 5 184121345 
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 4:53 pm

That looks good Doc & I can see where you are coming from re cut n shut on the pipes as it looks like it sticks out too far under the rest's but I can guess it'll sound most excellent dude!  Project Virago - Page 5 210272711
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 9:42 pm

Thanks to all you guys for the backing and comments, did some surgery to the Ebay exhaust today to get it ready for cutting,

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragoexhaust3-2-14001_zps0460d1a2

As the song goes " The first cut is the deepest "

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragoexhaust3-2-14003_zpsb02b1f58

Pipes seperated, only took two cuts with the grinder and a bit of twisting, they look as if they were a heat shrink fit inside the exhaust, 

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragoexhaust3-2-14004_zps10921ab4

Here is one of the pipes roughly mounted to give a rough view of what the system will look like, using the standard Virago pipe for the front and the idea is to blend the two pipes into each other instead of having a "Y" piece joining them.

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragoexhaust3-2-14004_zps10921ab4

When working on the bike I use the magnet out of an old microwave to hold the tools I am using as so often things get put down, accidently kicked or just blend into the background, helps quite a bit.

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragoexhaust3-2-14008_zps9fb23651

Project Virago - Page 5 696333
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 10:27 pm

Ah! The industrial Dremel lol Excellent tools and every household should have one, Can't wait to see this exhaust fitted, Especially if your having it coated Black Ceramic? (I'm Interested in this finish) Good tip with the Magnet Doc  Project Virago - Page 5 3498837457  Funny thing is? I thought how's he stuck that Magnet to an Aluminium swing arm? lol good old silver paint  Project Virago - Page 5 474255
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2014 1:05 pm

Yes, the Dremel, a really versatile tool, especially handy when cleaning up small electrical contacts, yes Sim, that,s a not very well applied coat of silver paint, have  another swinging arm to be blasted and coated plus a rear subframe that needs a few bits grinding off and fitting, sorry folks made a mistake with the photos, here is the one of the pipes dummy rigged on the engine, the brown thing on the left is a hammer handle I was holding it on with

Project Virago - Page 5 Viragoexhaust3-2-14009_zps21d415e3

There will be a slight imbalance with the exhaust flow as the Harley pipe is a larger bore than the Virago although they look the same, internally the Virago has a smaller bore pipe running through it, but, this is really is for cosmetic looks as the larger pipes look beefier , the large bore pipes are more usefull in the upper rev range where most people rarely go (Apart from Dave!!) the latest  V twin from Yamaha has the smaller bore pipes but also has a heat shield that doesn,t make them so obvious,
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2014 1:56 pm

looks like you have it sussed Doc!  Project Virago - Page 5 2645662097
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2014 2:07 pm

Doc Cox wrote:
the large bore pipes are more usefull in the upper rev range where most people rarely go (Apart from Dave!!)
  Project Virago - Page 5 2740622253  Allegedly.  Project Virago - Page 5 2343124779 

Great idea with the magnet Doc, if hindsight was applicable I could of saved many many hours looking for mislaid tools, bolts and other bits if I had used such a common sense approach.
This really is going to be a very personal yet well thought out bit of machinery. Your idea of cutting & shutting two exhaust pipes and running them into a single muffler will look good. The idea of ceramic coating the pipes will give you a one off & beautiful system. Not many people when changing pipes will go to as much work as you are prepared to do with cutting & shutting plus reshaping & adding length to pipes from another model so as to fit their bike.
The enthusiasm that you show with what you are doing and the way in which your attacking this project is admirable. Having just got back from yours just now after a visit with the wife to visit you and your lovely wife Jan, I had to get on here and tap away on the keyboard. The bike is looking great and the way that you are prepared to take your time and get everything right the first time is great. Can't wait for the day of reckoning when you start to ride her. Somehow I got a feeling that even when she is finished she will still be generating idea's that will scream at you to get them done, so the bike will never be finished in that respect.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2014 3:52 pm

O now I get it, I couldn't work out how they were gonna fit on the bike, I never thought about cut extend and shut + reweld and ceramic coating them all together   Project Virago - Page 5 474255   Project Virago - Page 5 2740622253 
Wow one off designer pipes now that will be cool what muffler will you use if you are planning a 2 into 1. have you got one in mind and what do you have planned for that, I bet it will have to be modified and improved from what it already is in some way  Project Virago - Page 5 852880
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks Dave, ( OK. Alledgedly ). Was great to have you and Margaret visit, you and your family are always welcome , and thank you for the flowers and chocolates for Jan, she was really chuffed, Crash, if you look back at the earlier exhaust photos you will see one that looks like a long megaphone type, this is the one I will be using, yes, you are right it will be modified slightly !!! Will be also using the Harley exhaust valve and the electric servo it came with rigged up to a simple switch operation on the handlebar switch assemblies,
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 10:39 am

O man this is sounding more and more like a really cool build all the time. That will look cool with the megaphone pipe, the ceramic coating on the pipes is really a cool idea. Darn site better than wrapping them and will be a great finish for personally designed and built pipes. Out of curiosity will they be black or do you have another colour scheme in mind or is it to early to think of the finishing touches?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Project Virago
Page 5 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next